Monday, April 20, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday ~ 1930's House



Anyone who knows me knows I am a true blue "Roomie", but only a few know about my other vice. Addicted to dreaming of the ways I could happily live out my life in a house other than the one in which I currently reside, I stand up and say to you, "Hello, my name is Jan and I am a "Homie"." (And I'm not talking of the "what it do" variety).

Anyone who knows me well, also knows that I have been in love with the town of Port Costa, CA since I attended a painting class in high school, and went there for the first time. The only way to buy a house in this little town of 250 residents is wait until someone dies! My brother has lived there for over 20 years, and keeps me apprised.


My current Homie fantasy plays out in this house, which I recently had the obsessive need to meet. Prepare for delusions in three...two...one: I could use the huge formal dining area as my art studio, guestroom and dining room! The lace curtains I've held onto for 5 years would look perfect in the over-sized bay window! I would not have to stub my toe on the other furniture in the master bedroom every time I change the sheets on my king-sized bed! I could have an island in the kitchen! I could have two separate sitting areas in the parlor! There's room to build a deck for a hot tub on the side yard! My husband could park his 1965 Cobra in the 1200 sq. ft. garage below (oops, that's his fantasy!)!!!

The real estate agent did not need to point out the original oak floors inlaid with mahogany at each room's threshold, the electrified gas lights, the French doors with vintage glass knobs, the original subway tile on the bathroom walls and penny tile on the floor, The wood ironing board in it's own narrow vertical cabinet, the coved-crown molding throughout, huge bedrooms and closets, or the enormous built-in in the kitchen. I spotted those all on mine own.

He was kind enough to intimately introduce me, however, to the crumbling foundation, the outdated electrical, plumbing, gas lines and the $20,000 termite estimate. But, even THAT doesn't pop my bubble--now I'm hoping someone else will buy it, bring it all up to code (and PLEEZE paint all those French doors white!) and sell it at a ridiculously low price that even my husband will not be able to say "no."!!! It's a sickness, I know.
Have a sickness over vintage you'd like to share? Go to Colorado Lady's blogspot this and every Thursday, because as they say "Misery loves company."

22 comments:

  1. Ooooo, I love that house.it looks roomy enough to have as many craft areas as you desired. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing wrong with dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha Jan you are such a dreamer..like me lol!!..but you just never know, it just might happen..never stop dreaming :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fantasy. I felt the same way for years about living on Mackinac Island; someone had to die and leave it to you or you just couldn't get one of the old Victorian houses there. It will always be my dream. So I say, keep reaching for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would love that house, the room in it is amazing, you could sit my whole house inside that one room and probably still have room left over

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant who WOULDN'T love that house, lol...it is so amazing it got me all mixed up...
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. wahhhhhhhhhh.. nice old house! happy VTT and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOur brother is so lucky to live in that amazing neighborhood! Yeahhh for inside connections! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a cool home. I saw a similar one on House Hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That room is amazing! The best of several things, floors, windows (I bet it has a wonderful view!) and size...among other things. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I share your sickness. I just love old houses. I am currently helping my parents resort a 1920's cracker house. I was told that the sibling that helps the most is the one that will inherit it, so I'm there from dusk till dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your story, Homie! Happy VTT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic home...so full of vintage charm!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful house! I love old houses, the older the better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a fun derailment. The house does have tons of charm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it sure is beautiful. I'm house hunting now...and its hard not to want it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love old houses. Dreams can come true! Have a wonderful Thursday..julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my. Excitable little homey, aren't we? It IS darling and as a matter of fact, I want it now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess I'm living your dream except on the East coast. Big old house, major problems...Keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey I found my blog soul mate! I too have the same obsession. Glad to know I'm not the only one. That house could be wonderful.
    Happy Dreaming,
    Tracy M.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't Port Costa the coolest place? I wanted to live there too.
    I was just in Martinez with Sis and I wouldn't mind living there either. Homes are more available in Martinez. I would bet that both towns are very expensive now.
    If I can find a place for my goats, chickens and dogs I will split the cost with you. Deal?

    ReplyDelete