Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday ~ How Do You Make A Hanky Dance?

This box is about 4 1/2" square, covered and lined with a pale green satin, and embellished with lace, ribbons and bows. I've always thought it was a box in which to store folded hankies, but I don't really know. I also don't know the function of the long ribbons on either side of the box. They must wrap around it somehow to keep it closed.
But none of that matters. I think it is gorgeous, and hope to find a new purpose for it in my new (in the process of painting) craft room.
Any ideas on how to re-purpose it?
Get your vintage on! Go to Colorado Lady's blog this and every Thursday to get your fill of all things vintage!
(ANSWER: Put a little BOOGIE in it!)

15 comments:

  1. it's ssoo adorable..i would use it as a jewellery box!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Satin and ruffles - what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Satin and ruffles! What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little boogie, ha ha. I have no ideas what the box is for but it's pretty. I love how it opens up. And whatever you put it on for the photo shoot, (a sheet? fabric? tablecloth?), is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is in lovely condition. May i ask where you found such a thing in such good condition?...Me, I would use it for my hanky collect, but it would be cute with little tiny glass jars with lids to put beads or buttons in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen anything like it! Very intersting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this would look cute on a shelf..with vintage do-dads or a little vintage picture. This is really cute! Have a great VTT and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen anything like this. I wonder what it is????
    Make it a sewing kit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a really nice little box. It could be used for so many things. I would be careful what I used it for to protect it. Very nice,

    ReplyDelete
  10. The box is gorgeous. I think jewelry box too.

    Happy VTT and Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Just found your blog via the Farmchicks, and it's so cute!

    I saw that you grew up in Pleasant Hill CA. I spent my early years there too! Fun place to be a kid.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, this has to be the most beautiful satin box!!!! Just gorgeous, I'm so glad you're using it to store your treasures too, xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jan,
    What a pretty vintage thingy!! I do think it is a hanky box, but really you could put whatever you like in it, couldn't you? Something special of course, for such a special box!!
    I love how you used the melon frame in your header, it turned out great! Thanks so much for playing along for "Brag Monday"!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that hanky box! I would "repurpose" it by putting my collection of vintage hankies with tatted edgings on them, LOL!

    ReplyDelete